Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Trains

I think I've written about trains before. I believe that I have lived in close proximity to a train track and/or crossing nearly every place I've lived. 

Growing up I remember falling asleep to the sound of the trains. Actually, what stands out the most is the absence of that sound. The clanging bells, the wheels on the tracks, and the whistle as it approached a crossing. If the trains were off schedule I noticed, even though I didn't consciously know the schedule. 

We don't live close enough to tracks now to hear the trains, but we visit a park each afternoon that is bordered by a double track. In the hour that we are in that park, at least two trains pass by. 

Bennett seems to have the same fascination with the sound and size of the trains that I did. The second he notices the clang of the crossing arms lowering, he is running off at full speed to the park's fence so that he can watch the train go by. 

You know? I think I remember my mom planning trips around town to coordinate with the train schedule so that my brother and she could "count cars". 

2 comments: