Thursday, August 5, 2010

Memories (part 1-The hospital)

I thought it might be prudent to make notes of things I remember from the first few months of Bennett's life. That's really the whole reason I started this blog in the first place. I used to be very good about journaling. At points in my life, I journaled daily. Not so much any more. I'm lucky if I stop to write down my thoughts once a month. The hope is that having this blog will provide me a more convenient outlet for those daily (at least weekly) thoughts.

These first few posts may get rather long as I try to cram nine months of thoughts in before leaving out the present day stuff.

Okay - let's start at the very beginning, shall we? Bennett was due October 28, 2009. On the weekend of October 10, 2009, Brian and I started to get really nest-y. We made a To Do list that was a page long and man, on Saturday and Sunday we were checking things off that list like crazy. And thank goodness too! On Sunday night, October 11, 2009, we had Indian for dinner (yum!) and went to bed after checking to make sure that our hospital bags were packed as much as they could be . . . I like to plan ahead, what can I say?

4:30am - I am awakened by a funny feeling and a strange popping sound, quiet, but very distinct. I bolted out of bed (as quickly as a nine months pregnant lady can), which woke Brian out of his deep slumber. As I hobbled to the bathroom to make sure, I called out, "I think my water just broke. Get dressed." We called the after hours number for Dr. Coble and started counting/timing contractions. I think at that point, they were around five minutes apart. We left for the hospital around 6am. I had made sure to eat a big bowl of cereal and take a shower (am I remembering that part right?) before throwing all the electronics into our bag and hopping in the car.
Laboring - texting mom and dad

By 7:30 am, I was fully laboring and when Dr. Coble came to visit, I asked for the epidural. It took a very long time for the nurses to finally stick me and then we had to wait an hour for the fluids to flow. When the anesthesiologist finally made it into the room around 10:30, he had to stick me twice before the right spot was found. My mom showed up just after he had left. Thank goodness she was there to relieve Brian for a little bit. And also good that she didn't have to see the hard labor - she is going to be privvy to enough grossness soon, right?

Labor was progressing nicely, but once the epidural kicked in and I was relaxing, it slowed enough for them to give me a pitocin drip. They slowly increased it until around 5:30pm on Monday the 12th, I was ready to push. Mom was on my right, Brian on my left, both helping me hold my legs. Good gravy, I've never worked so hard for something in all my life. I was focused, for sure, ready to push one more time, just one more time. I didn't need a mirror for inspiration (frankly, I was not interested in seeing the inevitable explosion). I simply counted, breathed and beared down with all my might.

Two hours later at 7:25pm, Bennett Charles arrived. He finally squawked, but from moment one, he was the calmest baby I have ever seen. Yes, his head was quite mis-shapen from those two hours in the birth canal, but that righted itself soon enough. His eyes were open, he was staring at all of us and we fell in love instantly.
Bennett Charles Allman - 7lb. 10oz. 20.5in

We were all able to go to our regular room around 10pm and Brian ordered pizza to be delivered. It had been so long since I'd eaten, but I didn't realize I was hungry until the pizza actually arrived. I had been so focused on other things, that it didn't cross my mind. I guess it helped that I had an IV in all day. Boy, was I relieved to have that thing (and that god forsaken blood pressure cuff, too - obnoxious) removed. The nurse had stuck it in the side of my wrist, just under my thumb, which meant that the sensor went off every time I bent my wrist in a certain way, such as to push myself up in bed.

My mom stayed in the hospital with me that night while Brian went home to get his last "full" night's sleep. He sent an email announcement out to all our friends and family and hopefully got some shut eye. He returned the next day, later in the morning. My dad arrived that evening (Tuesday) and he and mom went back to our condo to sleep while Brian and I spent the night admiring our son. OUR SON! Holy shit, what have we gotten ourselves into . . .

My favorite memory of the hospital is when Brian and Bennett were sticking their tongues out at each other (see left). I think they could have done that all day long if the doctors hadn't interrupted.

On Wednesday, October 14th, we were discharged from the hospital. Because they were not that busy, we were able to stay until about 3pm. We had to wait for the older hospital volunteer ladies to come and wheel me down the hall. They were indignant when we got to the exit and there was no car. They turned to Brian (who was behind me carrying THE BABY) and asked, "Where's the car?" He replied, "Over there." (We could see it - it was maybe twenty yards away.) And the oldest lady said, "Well, I don't know what to do. Usually the car is right here." I told her that I was more than okay to walk to the car myself. She really didn't want to let me do it. I must have looked especially fragile, I guess? I convinced her that my legs worked and she finally released me to the wild. I thanked her for her kindness and off we went.
Bennett meets Daddy-o in the hospital

Brian did a great job driving us home, despite my father's best efforts to derail him (with his sense of humor). We even stopped at the pharmacy to get my pain meds filled and pick up some other stuff. Daddy-o and Bennett hung out in the car and got better acquainted. We finally made it home. Mom had picked up and the place looked great. I was so excited to have my baby home with me. The next week or so is really a blur of sleeping, eating, pumping, feeding, changing diapers and packing - oh the packing! That's another post, though.

Brian's parents, Oma and Grandpa, were able to come down for the weekend. They brought fresh/rested hands and plenty of presents. Oma loves to shop and having a new grandson was the perfect excuse!
Oma and Bennett

One thing is for sure, Bennett. You are loved. You got and gave more cuddles in your first few hours of life than any of us could have imagined. Despite waking up at all hours of the night - you brought an exponential amount of joy into our family. You really made us into a family, kiddo. We are so glad that you're here.

No comments:

Post a Comment