Friday, January 6, 2012

Everybody sleeping

We've started seeing progress with the night time routine, folks! I'm very excited to spread the word that we are no longer spending upwards of thirty minutes each night rocking Bennett to sleep. As much as I enjoyed the time together snuggled with my sweet fellow, I love that he can put himself down now after just five minutes of rocking!

As we're rocking, we talk about what it means to be a big boy and go to sleep all by yourself in your big boy bed. Because he'd had some difficulty staying asleep the last week or so I threw in a new statement two nights ago. I said to him, "Now listen, Bennett. If you wake up in the middle of the night, remember that everyone else is still asleep. Mommy is sleeping, Daddy is sleeping, Granna is sleeping and even Uncle Ben is sleeping. You have Alberta right here beside you - you can give her a big squeeze and she will help you get back to sleep until it's wake up time. Sound good?" He nodded and snuggled in to his pillow. I told him I was proud of him, gave him three quick kisses and walked out the door.

The funny part is listening to him as he's falling asleep. We turn the monitor up loud enough to hear his mumbles and this is what we heard last night: "mama sleeping, daddy sleeping, granna sleeping. everybody sleeping!" said in a sort of sad monotone, as if he were really having to talk himself into the idea that everyone was asleep and no one was available to play. Poor little guy! But then he drifted right off to la la land!

Now let's hope I didn't just jinx it by typing it all out. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment