Thursday, January 26, 2012

Guess who's a big boy?

So someone little seems to be weaning himself off the rocking chair routine. I didn't think it would upset me as much as it did today at naptime.

We were sitting there comfortably reading books together. Right now, his favorites are the Berenstain Bears Go To School and Have a Sitter . . . we read each one twice! Anyway, what usually happens is that he helps me turn off the lamp next to the rocker and then he snuggles down to rock for a few minutes. I always say to him, "We can rock as long as you'd like, but you tell me when you're ready for your big boy bed." Ten minutes later or so, he lets me know . . .

Today, we read, we turned off the light and he immediately says, "I no need to rock wiff you, mama." WTH??? I tried to hide my disappointment and said, "Okay, love" - and tucked him in. I walked out the door and quickly turned on the monitor to see what happened. He tossed Oliver out of his bed and then chattered for fifteen minutes before he drifted off to sleep. Incredible!

We have a babysitter tonight, so I'm anxious to know if this pattern continues. We'll see! Please keep fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He did not go to sleep for her, but he also didn't cry the whole time we were gone. He was peacefully rocking with her upon our return, so I went and took over. He wanted to rock for a minute then rejected me for his big boy bed and sleep. little bugger.

      Delete