Monday, February 6, 2012

Our Little Helper

This morning, I picked Bennett up from school as usual, but I got there a little earlier than normal. I was able to watch him play with his classmates through the two-way mirror that is installed along one wall in the classroom. I really love this feature, as it gives me a window into his relationships that I don't always get to see.

Anyway - when I finally spotted him, I noticed that he was seated in the "house" area with a teacher and one other student - we'll call her Sally. Both Bennett and Sally were wearing very fancy silk Asian jackets and were very involved in their meal. As I watched the rest of the "end of day" routine, I was fascinated by the smile on his face and his ability to follow the directions of his teachers. (For the record, there are a couple of real terrors in his class - not very good at listening!)

When I made it into the classroom to pick him up, he had removed his fancy jacket but showed me where it is stored and talked with me about his day. Ms. Stephanie, one of his teachers found us by Bennett's cubby and relayed the following conversation to me . . .

Sally: (looking for something among the kitchen supplies)
Bennett: What you looking for, Sally?
Sally: A princess dress.
Bennett: Oh! I help you find it.
(They both look around, Bennett goes to the cabinet where they are stored and pulls one out for her.)
Bennett: What color you want?
Sally: Pink.
Benentt: Okay. I have purple. (He gave her the pink one and put on the purple one for himself.)

My heart was seriously bursting with pride as she told me this story. He really is such a good friend. I see it with nearly everyone he interacts. I think that being in preschool has helped develop that skill and I love it!
In his purple "princess dress"

No comments:

Post a Comment