Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Moving, also known as "I Got The Preschooler Blues"

Moving with a preschooler is NO FUN! Honestly - I have a hard enough time with the act of packing and moving (ask my mother who has helped me with EVERY.SINGLE.MOVE. and somehow manages to keep coming back.). I don't like it. Not one bit. I don't mind going somewhere new. I don't mind unpacking and putting everything away. I simply can not stand the idea of putting all of my stuff away in boxes for the minute amount of time that it's transported.

Apparently, my disdain for moving was borne into my son as well. Today was a really rough day. Brian was still in London trying to make the house as move-in ready as possible. Mom and I are here in Buffalo trying to tie up loose ends while entertaining the little fiery ball of energy we call Bennett. Boy Howdy it was tough today.

I woke up in a bad mood, not excited about facing the tasks of the day. I was overwhelmed before the sun came up, which is not a good sign. Mom took Bennett away for the morning which helped because it meant that I got to make some phone calls and finally got some questions answered. They went to the Herschel Carousel Museum in town and had a great time. Bennett rode the carousel FOUR times. Twice by himself. I can't believe it, but mom says it really happened!

He came home and was an absolute mess when I tried to get him to go to the bathroom, but then he collapsed for his nap. I figured mom and I would get two solid hours to work in the kitchen organizing things. Nopes. He woke up after only an hour and boy was he an angry hornet. Nothing would appease him. We simply took turns managing him for the next six hours.

Then - he pooped in his pants while he was having a fit in his room. He stomped through turds and tracked them to six different spots on the carpet. Thank the heavens above we have super shitty carpet upstairs. I used a little "resolve" and some elbow grease and other than the chemically smell, you wouldn't know he'd made a mess. We'll steam clean them on Saturday as planned, but no extraordinary measures will be made.

Of course, he was terribly upset that I wouldn't let him handle the caustic chemicals I was using to clean up said turds. After he got calmed down, I asked him to apologize to my mom for being a turd. He said he was sorry, but didn't add the qualifier. Darn! (Sidebar - one of his favorite expressions now is "Garnet!" when he's perplexed by something. Much like a grown up (which one? I"ll never say!) might say, "Darnit! or Dammit!!")

He finally fell asleep at 9:00. There is still much to be done, but I figured I'd better get this off my chest before it festered too long. See there? I feel better already. Muchas Gracias!!

p.s. One really neat thing happened this evening as we were coming home from the playground in our neighborhood. Granna had pushed him to the park on his bike/trike. He pedaled home!!! Go Beans!! I got some video and will post when I learn how.

No comments:

Post a Comment