Sunday, September 30, 2012

Grumble Groan Bitch and Moan

If you can believe it, we're still not quite 100% settled here in the land o' maple. Part of our immigration process has been to import our vehicles. That's right - gotta pay a tax to bring your already paid for car into Canada. After paying the import tax at the border ($200+ per vehicle for us), we had 90 (?) days to complete the import process. The import process is this:

1. Pay taxes.
2. Get car inspected for RIV approval. ($35)
3. Get car's Federal Saftey Inspection completed. ($95)
4. Have emission test completed. ($35)
5. Pay for license plates and registration/title transfer. ($TBD)
6. Do a happy dance.

Repeat with second car.

Today I planned to take both cars to the approved RIV inspection location and have the ten minute procedure taken care of. Likity split, both cars would be ready for me to take the Canadian equivalent of the DMV next week. Not so fast there little lady, said the service coordinator at Canadian Tire.

The Elantra was first to go in. Failed the Federal Safety Inspection because we needed to replace two belts in the Alternator. Also failed the RIV because we needed a module to ensure that daytime running lights were always on. Sure, we leave them on all the time out of habit. Doesn't matter. Canadian cars don't have them? Doesn't matter. If you purchased your car in the States and bring it to Canada - you must have an override switch installed in your vehicle to ensure that lights are always blazing. Great - there's another $250 in labor and parts. Sheesh. At this point, I'm thinking to myself that I don't even want to think about what the old Volvo might need to bring it up to code.

Five hours later, I was able to switch the vehicles and take the Volvo in for its turn. It passed the RIV inspection, passed emissions testing, but failed Safety due to a brake issue. We've got to replace the front brakes pronto or I can't drive it off the lot. Seriously? And the service guy wants to make me a deal to replace the brakes on the back wheels as well. I don't consider $600 a deal. We went with the front brakes. I'll have to find a volvo person soon and get the other things checked out. Of course, the guy who does the emission testing went home sick - so we had to leave the wagon overnight and will pick it up in the morning.

Moving is expensive, folks. Thank goodness one of us has a job. I can't even begin to imagine what a struggle life must be for folks who are moving across borders without a real plan. I sometimes feel like I'm struggling to maintain my sanity and I have a roof over my head, a husband and child who love me, and food in my belly. My thoughts go out to the refugees and immigrants clawing their way up.

No comments:

Post a Comment