Sunday, September 16, 2012

Terry Fox

One of Canada's heroes is Terry Fox. Terry was a young man diagnosed with Osteosarcoma when he was only 18. He had one leg amputated and as he was in the hospital, resolved to work to raise money for cancer research. To do that, he decided to run across Canada to raise awareness. He started in Newfoundland and made it to Thunder Bay, Ontario before he had to stop because the Cancer had spread to his lungs. He became an inspiration to all Canadians.

As an American, I had no knowledge of Terry Fox and his journey until I fell in love with a Canadian.  I don't remember the first time that Brian talked about Terry, but I remember the admiration that was in his voice as he told me the story.

Today, Brian, Bennett and I participated in the Terry's Cause on Campus at Western, where Brian works. Each year, the Terry Fox Foundation supports a Terry Fox day, where across Canada, people join forces to raise money for Cancer research. So far this year, donations have reached $2 million, CAD. I believe that I heard the folks say at our race today that the Terry Fox Foundation has raised over $500 million in the years it's been raising.

We had a lot of fun today, even though the race was a bit unorganized. We got to explore the campus a bit before the start, which Bennett really enjoyed. I am very proud of Bennett because he ran for the first ten minutes and then he hopped on his bike and pedaled the rest of the way. He didn't ask to be carried once!

Because we signed up to join the event late last week, we didn't make any efforts to raise funds. However, if you feel so compelled to donate, please do so here. We will be a little more zealous in our fundraising efforts next year, as we hope to make this an annual family event!

These photos are some I shot throughout the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment