Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Self-isolation Day 6

Today was a pretty good day! Although I feel like I should make notes as the day progresses, because it feels like this journal is going to get pretty boring unless I start embellishing like I did when I was in junior high.

You ever go back and read your old journals? Oh no? You didn't keep every thing from your formative years? I have an entire box of just journals. Another one of calendars from college to present day . . . but I digress!

The point is that the days are starting to resemble each other very strongly.

And it's only Wednesday.

In today's adventures . . . I made chili. I tried to find chicken at the grocery stores to marinate and freeze (didn't get to do it yesterday as planned because my grocery order had no chicken in it). There was none to be found. Except for a rotisserie chicken. We bought it and will eat it for dinner tomorrow.

While Bennett was having his morning screen time (we held him off until 9am), I got to focus on some work. For my paid job. I'm teaching now at Fanshawe, in the same program that I earned a degree from four years ago. We're turning all of our courses into online courses next week, so I needed to shift some things around.

Then, I spent a little while putting the finishing touches on my spring mantel. I got into seasonal decorating when we moved into this house nearly two years ago because it has a lovely fireplace in the front room with a really nice blank wall behind the mantel. Rather than decorate for holidays, I change the look four times a year to match the season. Behold - spring (a little earlier . . .)

A little burst of spring before the actual flowers bloom
The floor is part of the mantel, too, right?
And then we ventured out to get drano, some chicken (still failed), wine and gin (success!) and pick up lunch while we still can. Mom and Bennett stayed in the car most of the time and I ran in and out of spots as quickly as possible. I kept my mouth clenched shut and wrapped my hands in my sleeves before touching anything.
These floors have NEVER been this clean!
Happy to oblige! Thanks for the lunch.
After lunch, more screen time for the boy while I filed our taxes. Then, we went on another nature hike. I'm loving these walks with my favorite kid. He's so chill and willing to chat with me! I don't even really remember what we talked about - but it was so nice. No snarling, no sass, just me and my boy in the woods. Of course, we also took the laser tag gear and had a fun time. Then, a game of follow the leader on the way home.
Lots of leaping off logs . . .
Always finding "treasures" on our walks!
And some cool nature finds for me. Slowing down makes my eyes work really well, it seems!
Mushrooms or bark?
Dragon or broken tree?
After our walk, I forced quiet reading time - mama needs a break, dude! And then we ordered dinner out from our new fave spot, Mint Leaves Indian Kitchen. I was the only person in the front of the house when I went to pick up. I know that we're supposed to be sticking close to home, but this place is only one year old and I also think it's important to support small businesses while we still can. I would hate to see this place close. So buy local, then go home!!

After dinner where we all overate, we watched the 21st and 22nd hours of the first season of 24. Bennett is loving this show. I love sharing "grown up" things with him. What old school t.v. show or movies do you think we should tackle next?

1 comment:

  1. I have mantel envy! Sidenote: I just learned the difference between "mantel" and "mantle"!

    ReplyDelete