Sunday, April 15, 2012

First Day Jitters

So tomorrow I have my first day of this school year. Historically, I've had a really hard time sleeping the night before a first day of school. I imagine that tonight will be no different. Not only am I excited about working and starting a new year (for me, at least!), I'm also nervous about what kind of reaction Bennett will have.

Tonight, he had a REALLY hard time going to bed. We followed our very normal routine and read books and kissed and hugged Daddy before settling down for some snuggle time with mommy. I read him one more book and then turned off the light. The second that light turned off, the water works began. I think that he was totally aware that something was changing.

I was able to get him calmed down by reciting the Adventures of the Adventuresome Boy a couple of times and then whispering nursery rhymes in his ear. We sat on the bean bag quietly and then he started to cry again and told me repeatedly that he didn't want to go to sleep yet. "I go in my big boy bed later, mama. LATER." We decided to set an alarm for five minutes and then he'd go in his bed. He was fine with that until the "alarm" sounded. I sat with him at his bed for a few minutes and talked him through the process and reminded him, as I do every night, that I loved him, I was so proud of him and I would see him in the morning. I kissed Douglas, Alberta and Bennett (several times) and then I left the room.

Once I left his room, he was sobbing and hanging at the door begging me to come back. Luckily, that only lasted about five minutes before he found his way back to his bed and covered himself up to fall quickly asleep. That only served to ratchet my anxiety about leaving him up a few notches. After coming downstairs and getting a couple of jobs completed in preparation for the morning, I was able to rationalize that he probably thinks I'm going to be g.o.n.e. like I was the last time I went to work. He's likely anticipating that experience, despite my repeated explanation that I'm just working at a school (which he has seen) and that I'll be home shortly after he wakes up from his nap every day. Either Oma or Granna will pick him up from school and play with him and they will have a LOT of fun together.

I'm certain that it will all be just fine, it's just those first day jitters grabbing hold of my nerves. Gotta go sharpen my pencils! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment